Finding your college fit doesn’t have to be stressful. Both parents and students, read through these questions, tips and guidelines for students to consider. As you answer and perhaps even take notes, discuss your options with your parents and get clear on your desired college experience.
College visits are extremely important. The summer is a great time to schedule college visits. Finding the right fit can't be found by browsing school websites. You can't get the "feel" of a school without visiting the campus. You'll be spending a few years of your life there and thousands of dollars as well. Here are 6 tips to ensure your college visit is successful:
1. Dine in the food hall - Is the food good? Are there healthy choices? Most admissions representatives will give prospective students tickets for free meals in the dining halls.
2. Read campus bulletin boards - Please spend a few minutes reading the bulletin boards. These boards provide an easy way to see what the campus events are.
3. Check things out on your own - The tour guide will show you the school's top highlights. Do yourself a favor and walk around for a bit. Try to get the complete picture of campus life and how it all comes together.
4. Schedule a meeting with a professor - You can see if the department's interests match your own. Be sure to ask about graduation requirements, research and internship opportunities, and average class size.
5. Spend the night - Many schools offer overnights, and nothing will give you a better sense of dorm life than spending the night. Your host can share all sorts of information. You'll also get a chance to ask questions to other students.
6. Chat with current students - Look for other students on campus and try to ask a few questions. These random conversations can provide insight about campus life that isn't included on the official tour.
Make sure you're prepared for college by taking a college readiness class!