Here are some things to do the week before taking an official SSAT:
1) Get your bag together. It’s extremely important to include your admission ticket. If your ticket is missing or you never printed it, login to your SSAT account and print one immediately. The ticket is located under “My Tests.” Find the test date and click on “Print Ticket.” Remember additional items: three No. 2 pencils with erasers, snacks, water bottle, etc. Do not bring mechanical pencils. Do not bring anything like a running watch or any type of a watch/alarm that beeps.
2) Get a good night’s sleep the entire week before the test. Practice waking up early for a few days. Eat a healthy breakfast before you leave on test day. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes to the test center.
3) Don't bring a calculator or computer, or other electronic device unless you've been approved for testing accommodations that require them. Do not bring a cell phone.
4) A photo ID is NOT needed. The SSAT doesn’t require a photo ID of the student. This is why it is so important to remember your admission ticket.
5) Gather yourself during the scheduled breaks. It is common to discuss the questions amongst other students in the hallway, but that will only make you more anxious.
6) Watch the weather reports. If there is bad weather in the area the night before the test, the test center could close. You don't want to go out in an icy winter storm and the test center is closed when you show up.
7) Plan to arrive at the test location at least 30 minutes prior to the start time. Total testing time for the middle and upper level SSAT is 2 hours and 50 minutes, plus two added breaks. With the breaks included, the total time comes to 3 hours and 5 minutes. Most students are not familiar with taking a test for such a long period of time. Make sure that pickup is arranged for after the test. Test supervisors are not responsible for remaining at the center after the test ends.
8) No visitors, this includes parents, are allowed in the testing room. Also, all test materials will be picked up at the end of the test and cannot be taken from the testing room.
Please contact us should you have any questions about the SSAT.